Wednesday 17 December 2014

Feliz Navidad / Merry Christmas! From This Southern Continent to Yours!

Okay, the Michael Bublé Christmas album is on as I write this,  the tree is lit in the background, and there is wine in hand! This is my very first year away from home for the holidays and it's given me a lot to miss and a lot to think about.

Since December 1st I've been contemplating what Christmas is all about  if you take away close family and friends, which is mainly what it was for me, and then when you take away the crisp cold air and snow and snuggles,  needless to say, I was at a loss for a couple of weeks!

Then I realized Christmas was in my hands this year and that on the flip side of the many special people and traditions I'm missing, I get the 'holiday getaway' Christmas for the first time in my life too. I have sand, sun, beaches, less shopping and preparation to do, and I have new friends and family to embrace this year. I made a conscious decision to pick and chose what parts of the holiday to hold onto while I'm here and to bring a little of my own holiday style to my new life in Uruguay.

Next step, I asked my Muslim roommate if he'd mind, and with his approval I giddily put up my skinny Christmas tree! Then I started making plans. I've been reaching out to family here and making plans to spend quality time with them. And lastly, I've been making beach getaway plans...all in an attempt to have a new kind of Christmas this year! I'll also still be baking my annual double chocolate banana almond drop cookies. Mmmm Christmas baking, some traditions just had to stay!

The little tree. El arbolito.


This year I'll be spending the 24th, which is the big day of celebrating here, with my Grandpa's sisters and brother, we will be about six in total for dinner and fireworks at midnight. Then on the 25th, when most people are comatose from too much food and festivity, I'll be hitting the road with friends and headed east ward to the best beaches, to do some camping and a lot of nothing for four days. Then for the end of year I'll be at a beach house in Cuchilla Alta for four days with my cousin, her boyfriend, and their friends.

Are you jealous yet? Well don't be. I would challenge those of you at home surrounded by your nearest and dearest to take a moment and really appreciate who is around your table this year. We live in a crazy, chaotic, fast paced state of mind. I was lucky this year to escape some of the nonsense of Christmas, the hustle, the over importance put on gifts, the glitter and glam of holiday parties, the over indulgence of chocolates and alcohol, and I don't miss any of it. BUT, I am especially missing the people, the warmth and familiarity of close friends and family. This is the first time in 15 years (okay maybe the second) that I miss our annual Christmas potluck with my best friends, and that alone is enough to make me tear. So when I post those beach pictures later this month, please know that we both have it good!

In the end, a warm holiday season does feel odd to this Canadian, but I'm savouring the differences and finding small ways to keep some of the spirit from home alive. There is no right or wrong way to spend the holidays, if we are lucky, we have some good food on the table and some special people to share it with. Hot or cold outside, green grass or white snow, there really is a spirit to Christmas that you can take anywhere with you. Family, new friends, baking, some small gifts, a couple of modest holiday work parties, beach, beer, and quiet, that is the spirit of my Christmas this year and I am grateful for it.

Before I sign off, I want to sincerely wish each of you a VERY Merry Christmas. You are in my thoughts and I hope that you are enjoying this holiday season to the max with the ones you love. Wishing you much love, peace of heart and mind and many wishes come true in 2015!

Did I mention, I'm feeling really good about 2015!? *wink*

Love always,
N.


2 comments:

Thanks for your comments!