Wednesday 10 September 2014

First Impressions

They say that when you meet someone first impressions are made within the first 10 seconds, but how about when you 'meet' a new city? Do first impressions count? Can it be love at first sight?

I arrived to Montevideo on Friday night. My first impressions of the airport and in some ways therefore of the city, were all very positive. The airport was gleaming white with orange features. It was shiny, modern, new, and very clean. I especially enjoyed it's emptiness and cleanliness after more than 24 hours of travel and having already been in four other more congested and well trafficked airports along the way. Although Montevideo was off to a good start, proper introductions to the city centre weren't done until Sunday afternoon.

Sunday we walked over 13,000 steps (according to my trusted step counter). I was shown the city highlights, albeit quickly, by my Aunt and Cousin, who have lived in neighbouring Canelones their whole lives. We visited the boardwalk along the water (La Rambla), did a quick walk through one of the main parks, Parque Rodo, and it's very popular weekend market. We visited the main Plazas, including Plaza de la Independencia and a park bench lunch stop in Plaza Fabini. We walked through the old city, visited the legislative palace and finished off the day at a beautiful and modern indoor market (MAM).

Although I 'saw' a lot, it was a whirlwind and if I had to give first impressions I feel like they would be uninformed and that it would be too soon. On top of this, seeing a South American city on a Sunday is like visiting someones house while they are napping. Most of the store doors and windows were boarded up and the streets were nearly empty.

For now, here is what I can say with certainty. The streets are lined with large gorgeous old trees that add loads of character. They have just started a recycling program in the city, the bins are shiny and new. The streets are a bit littered and the buses leave a trail of black fumes behind them. The colours as the sun sets are unreal, the brightest pinks I've ever seen. People walk around EVERYWHERE with their thermos of hot water and mate, there is no where you can't carry it with you! There is still so much to explore! There are countless barrios (neighbourhoods), each with their own characteristics.
 
Empty tree lined streets and recycling bins in the distance.
In other words, I have only scraped the surface and I can't wait to know the city in my own way. I can't wait to discover my favourite place to have coffee, my favourite park to sit and have lunch or read a book, the best vintage shops and so on!

Many more introductions and firsts are to be had. 


6 comments:

  1. "like visiting someone's house while they're napping" hahaha - so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aislin, glad someone likes my humour! ;)

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear that you've arrived and are getting familiar with your new home. Can't wait to hear more and missing you tons.

    Love,
    V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks V, missing you too! Can you move here and be my roomie!? :)

      Delete
  3. This is fantastic! Special request: picture of a sunset? I will drink Yerba mate on your behalf this week! Jenn xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, drink mate! It's delish! I will definitely work on the sunset pic pour toi!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!